LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN JURBY – PART 5

TRAINING PROGRESS – NO PLAN B

I have now reached 150 miles of ‘proper training’ for the big day(s) which is where I had had planned to be by the end of March. However, this does not tell the full story. On 7th March I called in at an elderly relative’s house to find that he had taken a fall and had been unable to get to his feet unaided. The time since has been taken up with visits to Noble’s and Ramsey Cottage Hospitals, sorting out pensions, bills and shopping prior to discussions and meetings on future accommodation needs etc.

Family must always come first of course, though the time lost meant that it was only by doing 17 miles last week that I was able to get ‘back on track’ whereas I had hoped to be well ahead of schedule by this point. So, for the other 1016 entrants registered at the time of writing I can only advise that training doesn’t always go as planned – ensure you have a Plan B!

There were two competitive events held during March. Firstly, the last Winter Walking League event saw a win on the day for Jayne Farquhar (and a win overall in the series – well done Jayne!) whilst the other podium places for 2022-23 went to Parish ‘Legend’ Sean Hands and (10th to the War Memorial last year) Tony Edwards. I was slightly disappointed with my own 70:12 for the 6.21 miles distance, though it wasn’t out of line with my performances throughout the winter, basically two minutes down on 12 months ago. More treadmill work required!  

The following Thursday saw the Spring Handicap, also at the NSC. Prior to the start several of us learned that we had been given some rather ‘interesting’ handicap times so all I could do was the usual strategy; try to pass those ahead of me before those behind left me in their wake!

In the event the plaudits went to Neil Wade with 27:32 whilst Erika Kelly was fastest actual time with 25:27. This near OAP was pleased to record 33:32 (over 5.5 mph) showing he is still competitive over 5 km – if not 85 miles!  

TECHNOLOGY

Reading through Dermot O’Toole’s histories of this wonderful event one of the significant changes over the years has been the recording of the entrants at each church. In the early days competitors had to carry their own card to be signed off by Arthur Jones and his team. I wonder what they did if it was pouring with rain and the card turned to ‘mush’ or even worse was lost?

The introduction of the ‘dibber’ was a great initiative whether worn on the wrist or round the neck, though for those at the top end of the race the time taken for the insertion of the device into the recording machine would no doubt add on a couple of minutes overall, which can make all the difference! The modern approach to having the recording device embedded into the race number has eliminated this allowing a smooth approach past each church and helping some of us further down the field to just get to the next one before cut-off!

For many years headphones were permitted to be worn and there were certainly benefits in taking your mind off the pain and fatigue! Conversely though they could take your mind off other walkers in close proximity or (even more dangerously) vehicles and they are now wisely banned. I personally found with an ‘I-pod’ (mine was a Sony I recall) that once I started to swing the arms then I would catch the wire and continuously knock the ear-pieces out, so would eventually become frustrated and put them in the pocket of the water bottle belt and forget about them.

Instead of music, I try to concentrate on lists, going through the A-Z for the likes of countries and capitals, football teams and footballers, groups, artists and songs etc. Another idea I have been taught is to focus on a telegraph pole or house a couple of hundred yards up the rod and then recalibrate to the next one when I reach it. Whatever you do it is imperative to focus throughout – often is the time my mind has wandered only to find that I have lost impetus and Pete Miller’s ‘chimp’ is trying to work negative thoughts into my head – usually approaching Bride!

A RANDOM TOP 10 OF PARISH WALK RELATED SONGS

Don’t stop - Fleetwood Mac

A walk in the night - Junior Walker and the Allstars

(17 times’ finisher Mick Holgate’s favourite part of the event)

Walk don’t run - Ventures

Glorious - Andreas Johnson

I love America - Patrick Juvet

Up the hill backwards – David Bowie

(How Jeff Black got up part of Ballajora on his way to 3 finishes)

Walking on broken glass – Annie Lennox

(How the surface on the way to Andreas Church feels…)

Faith – George Michael

I knew the Bride – Dave Edmunds

Everyone’s a winner – Hot Chocolate

PARISH WALK MEMORIES – PART THREE (2015 – 2021)

2015       

I had trained well for the 20 June 2015 event in the company of Ralph Peake M.H.K. and the plan was to walk together throughout the day (and hopefully night). A few days before the event though Ralph found out that there was an important meeting at Tynwald first thing on Monday morning to prepare for and decided that it was only practical for him to walk to Peel. I kept wanting to go at a quicker pace, but Ralph reigned me in which helped later on. Approaching Jurby I was delighted to see that Ralph had come out to support me, joining my son Andrew who was down as designated driver. A fine leg to Bride (so often my nemesis) had me starting to ‘believe’ by Andreas until a rather large blister popped under my foot and knocked the momentum. At Lezayre we made preparations for the next leg and Ralph/Andrew had barely driven off before I leant against a fence and started to retch etc. Once I had got my senses back I was dismayed to find that several parts of the clothing were heavily caught in the barbed wire, and it took further time to extricate myself! Trudging on a vehicle stopped on the hill up to Maughold and it was the ‘wags’ from the Civil Defence again who stated that as the cut off had gone the Maughold Station had now closed, and they had gone home! I was by now somewhat disorientated and implored them to make sure I got to Maughold and take a picture of me showing a watch as I had never reached the Church before and wanted to prove to the organisers that I had reached that point. Sure enough, when I reached Maughold Church the place was deserted but then a few seconds later Martin Lambden jumped out from behind a car to swipe my dibber, whilst my comments were unprintable! So, my best chance of success had fallen short, though at least a personal best to Maughold in 19h 18m 32s

It was only a couple of days later in Greenwich on my way to a Fleetwood Mac concert, and wandering why everyone was stepping off the pavement to let a hobbling Manxman go past that I realised how much the event had taken out of me…

2016

Saturday 18 June 2016 – a hot day (this will become a common theme…) Pleasing performance to Peel but then the extra weight I was carrying (personally) started to have an effect, with even the arrival of Ralph Peake with some reviving soup only being a temporary fillip. I walked with former work colleague Garry Curtis up to Jurby, and then resisted his offer for us to stop and try his home-made curry at his residence in Andreas, though in the event only got to Bride just inside the cut off and called it a day.    

2017

Saturday 17th June 2017 was a very hot day. I again walked for much of the time with Garry before I started to struggle from the Round Table and had already ‘gone’ before throwing up on the hill up from Glenfaba bridge and struggling into Peel before handing in my dibber despite the protestations of Liz Corran, who reminded me that I ‘always’ carried on. I ended up flopping down on the couch for the evening whilst Garry showed far more guts and reached the War Memorial in an excellent 23h 05m 34s. A disappointing effort (for me).

2018

A year later (on 23 June) there were good conditions at the start of the Walk, and I started a lot nearer the front,  and everything went well until the temperature soared when I was heading up Ballakillowey. I made the conscious decision to just enjoy the walk into Peel and arrived at the Town Hall at 7h 58m 28s.

2019

Saturday 22nd June 2019 was (once more) a hot day. In the early stages I walked with namesake Kevin Moore, and we were surprised along Clanagh Road to be passed by Alan Teare, who would usually be miles ahead of us by this stage. He explained that he had forgotten his timing chip and had to wait at Marown for a family member to bring this from Peel (Alan would eventually haul himself up from 1201st at Marown to 39th place at the Finish).

The ’hills’ went well though after Peel I had problems with my right heel which needed constant attention up the west coast. It was only Garry Curtis’s ‘magic soup’ which got me from Jurby to finish at Bride, though I recorded  that it had been a ‘reasonable effort – having only thrown up once!’

 2020

Alighting the coach at the Point of Ayre for the 2019 End to End Walk, I jarred my knee on a bar on the step down from the back of the vehicle and struggled throughout the event, only being recorded with a time to Cregneash, although I stubbornly/stupidly carried onto to the finish line in around 10 hours 8 minutes. Feeling sorry for myself later at the Barbary Coast with wife Cath, I acceded to her previous request for us to go on a particular cruise on the date of the 2020 Parish, which I had declined previously for obvious reasons!

What to do instead? I eventually decided to venture far afield and enter the 50 miles event in May 2020 at Schiedam, Holland, part of the Wandelweekend, and took to training round the NSC at nights once I realised that the event would have an 8 p.m. start… In March however, the dreaded ‘Covid’ word entered our vocabularies. We cancelled our cruise and on 23rd March the Schiedam event was also shelved. Not to worry thought me, I will be able to enter the Parish after all! Within three hours our wonderful event was also a casualty, and I spent the next month taking the advice of ’one walk a day’ literally socially distancing around Baldwin.    

On the day scheduled for the event I ventured out for a ‘tenth of a Parish’ (8.5 miles) walk through Baldwin to the Injebreck reservoir and back and later ventured down to Onchan Church to cheer on Angie Robinson, who was cycling the Parish course in memory of Teri Waddington.

2021

My latest venture in this most addictive of pastimes (June 19, 2021) was held in humid conditions, which did not help when mixed with the car fumes going up the Sloc. The changes implemented by the event’s organisers meant that the traffic was much better between Round Table and Peel though instead there was a major snarl later down the hill to Glen Wyllin. I made the fatal mistake of succumbing to the ‘beware the chair’ mantra and too many occasions sitting down on the boot of son Andrew’s car meant that I barely had the inclination left to get up to Jurby Church. 

 

THE MONTH AHEAD

With the (hopefully) warmer weather and lighter nights April is the month to up the training schedule, with more training walks, longer distances and varied routes. Whether I pay attention to my own advice though we will see in the next blog!   


 

Taken during the now discontinued Peel to Douglas event in 2010 before the days of health and safety!

(Courtesy of Doug Allen – runner up in the Parish 2000 and 2002)

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog