LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN JURBY – PART EIGHT

 

MY THANKS

I wish to start my final blog for 2023 by thanking Jock Waddington for giving me the opportunity of sharing my experiences of the ‘P.W.’ from the last 25 years, touching on its history, my training progress and tips from other ‘veterans’.

Also my gratitude to Ray Cox and his organising team for another superb event, and all the spectators/supporters around the course who ‘make’ the day for the competitors.  

SATURDAY 24th JUNE 2023

My Parish Walk day started with a bit of a panic when I missed the alarm and didn’t wake up until 6.38 a.m.! Fortunately, everything was laid out well in advance and I managed to get down to the start in good time.

All went to plan to Rushen though the music blaring out at the Blackboards (The only way is up) gave a foretaste as to what was to come. I was trying to put in the minimum effort to each church to save energy for later, and boy did I need it!

Turning at Rushen I actually had no issues on the ascent up Ballakillowey, though by then the sun had come out and everything unravelled. At the top of the Sloc at the turning toward the Round Table I managed to empty the contents of my stomach, not once but three times… I had predominantly eaten bananas up to that point so don’t know whether I should have adopted  a more varied diet, but the damage was done. A similar tale occurred on the hill up to Glen Maye, and I am eternally grateful to the occupants of Glen View towards the top of the hill, who sat me down for five minutes and refreshed me with two pints of iced water in order to get me going again.

‘Digging in’ I managed to complete the last three miles to Peel before the St. John’s Ambulance team give me some welcome shade under their canopy (after a fifth ‘evacuation’) before heading back home to catch up on the progress of those with my fortitude than myself...        

SPECIAL AWARDS GO TO…

A special mention now for some of those whose efforts have come to my attention whilst strolling through the results:  

All 134 finishers – Fantastic performances in the conditions.

Chris Cale             - a 20th finish for Chris, who crossed the line immediately following Andrew Titley (now on 21 finishes)

Charlotte Barham and Danny Metcalfe    - the respective first-time finishers, who should be feeling extra proud of themselves today.

Samantha Bowden          - a selfless performance by my fellow blogger to get her friends ‘over the line’.

John Lorimer      - our Governor is certainly embracing the Manx way of life!

Ffinlo Moore and Anna Moore     -              great debuts by my nephew and niece – only a couple of years and I can hand over the family ‘baton’!

Gordon Erskine  - still donning the trainers in his 80th year.                             

Adam Knight      - Adam’s achievement ranks up there with those at the top end of the field.

AND FINALLY

Finally, I wish to reiterate what a fantastic event the ‘Parish’ is, and my continued addiction to it despite what I shouted to former finisher Garry Reid when he stopped on the straight to the Round Table to check on my discomfort ‘’I ******* hate this event’’!

I didn’t mean it, and as Tony Edwards posted overnight, ‘there’ always next year…‘.



Relieved to get into Peel (Courtesy of Elaine Cain)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog