Long Road out of Eden Jurby - (Part Three)

                                                                                Entries pass 500

With the first 'cut'-off for entries taking place at midnight, a steady stream of entries has meant that 590 have taken up the challenge so far though we have a little way to go to reach the 1500+ numbers who reached at least Santon in 2011 and 2012, so get your credit cards out soon!

Many familiar names are already included in the line-up, including Simon Gawne, Patrick Bregazzi and Tony Edwards who are all expected to be amongst the front-runners (pun not intended). Just as important there are many new names on the list, including those in the under 21 category, and it to these competitors we will look to in the future to ensure that the event continues to flourish. 

One name that it is very pleasing to see back is Antony Kneale, the runner up in both 1989 and 1996 amongst his 22 finishes, who is renowned for what is probably the most famous artifact amongst Parish memorabilia  - the famous (and much repaired) 'string vest'. I wonder whether it will be brought out of the attic again in June! Reading Dermot O'Toole's 'The Ultimate Challenge' this morning, one experience that Anthony will not be looking to repeat this year happened in 1993, when he was attacked by a polecat in the Bride area and had to beat a hasty retreat, though still managed to finish in 5th place!

                                                                               Training so far

 During January I managed to do 51 of my 300 minimum scheduled training miles, which included a five miles airing for the head torch last night when I realized that I was short of my January target! Five of my six training sessions have been out in the Baldwin area and fitness levels are slowly building up, though not as slowly as the time taken for recovery as my body reminds me that I am 63 not 36! Former Isle of Man resident and Strava buddy John Ryder has suggested I take up yoga, so I will be scouring You Tube shortly...

                                                                                 Local events 

Due to the issues with organization, health and safety etc we have lost some of the additional events in the Manx race walking / Endurance events in recent years. The most important of these prior to the Parish would be the Sarah Killey (Fireman's) Walk between Peel and Ramsey, Not only would the majority of the event be on the actual 'Parish' course, but you always 'knew' that if you completed the 50 km (31 miles) distances then you could get to Peel a month or two later. So it is important to fit in some longer walks of around 20 miles once the temperature and conditions improve, doing sections of the course if at all possible.

It was pleasing therefore to see that a new sponsor (Altenar) had been found for the Isle of Man Marathon and Half Marathon in August (the shorter event encourages walkers) and I intend to use this as my final session prior to the long distance walking event in Middlesbrough the following week.

We also received the final results for the Isle of Man Veteran's 2022 Walking League yesterday. I was comprehensively beaten into second place by Parish stalwart Ian Callister, whose performances over the shorter distances have continued to excel in recent years. Well done Ian! I recall a Parish event of not too many years ago when Ian had finished his Parish at the Town Hall, got his shopping in at Shoprite and was carrying his bags up Peveril Road by the time I was struggling to catch him on the exit from Peel!

The last of my 'proper' walks for January was 10 days ago in Winter Walks League 4, held at the the NSC. It was good to note the technique of the likes of Adam Killip, Neil Wade and Tony Edwards as they lapped me for a second time (!) whilst the event was won on handicap by Parish all time great Sean Hands, who it is good to see back out competing once more. As for myself, I am currently two minutes down on last winter's 10 kilometres series times, so there is still much work to be done to get back to required fitness levels.

                                         My 'Parish' memories - Part One (1999 to 2007)

The period 1999-2007 would see the event being dominated by a certain Robbie Callister, whilst Sue Biggart would assume a similar supremacy on the Women’s podium. The start of the event moved from the Villa Marina to the NSC in 2001, whilst 2004 saw over 1000 entrants for the first time.

1999

My Parish Walk debut on 19 June 1999 started with me signing on at the Villa Marina before 'doing some stretching exercises’! I walked throughout much of the day with my Isle of Man Bank work mate Tony Quine. The Walk was ‘good fun’ until Rushen when the rain started and the climb over the Sloc was dreadful – cold, wet and windy. Despite the blisters I manged to get into Peel in 8 hours 7 minutes 13 seconds before hobbling down to my parents’ house at 17 Atholl Street to get a well needed bath and to dry the t-shirt, which was my sole piece of clothing above the waist (!)

The race was won by Chris Flint who I had the pleasure of meeting and having dinner with last year on the eve of the Centurions event at Middlesbrough, Chris (C849) being the Secretary of the organisation. Second was Danish walker Karen Marie Brogger. Murray (Lambden) would often discuss with me how he hoped to attract more ‘international’ competitors to the event, and whilst the likes of David Vandercoilden have graced the event in the last few years it is the several centurion walks held in Douglas and Castletown which have attracted the endurance copetitors from the Netherlands and beyond.

2000

Waking up at 4.50 a.m. on 17 June 2000 did not stop a good pace to Rushen (4 hours 10 minutes) before the sun came out up the Sloc. Pleased with the last stretch to Peel and managed to duck under 8 hours by a mere 70 seconds!

The event winner was Peter Kaneen an outstanding ‘proper’ race walker , whose wife Bridget (herself a finisher in 2006) is one of the wonderful group of volunteers who organize the likes of the Winter Walks League up to the present day.

2001 (23 June)

In 2001 I walked with my Isle of Man Bank (and much younger colleague) Miguel Fernandes. We made good progress to Rushen Church though I found it difficult to keep up with his pace on the flat approach to the Sloc. I lagged behind him for the next couple of hours before he ‘hit the wall’ at Devil’s elbow, and I donated my last bottle of water and Mars bar to him to ensure that he (and we) got into Kirk Michael, where we stopped at the church.

The first to finish was Robbie Callister, whose popularity to approaching near folk-hero status would rise over the years in tandem with the growing popularity of the event.  

2002 (22 June)

Mid-afternoon heavy rain cleared up to such an extent that I recorded that I ended up with a good tan! I managed to get to Kirk Michael half an hour quicker than the previous year and although to Ballaugh was a struggle I managed to arrive there in 10 hours 19 minutes ‘with a bit left in the tank’. Though with my wife having taken daughter Vicky to her ballroom dancing competition, with no back up support there was no opportunity to go further.   

Robbie Callister repeated his win in the overall event, whilst ‘Roey’ Crellin emulated the feat amongst the women’s heroines.

2003

21 June 2003 saw hot conditions which might well have led to a blistered foot which materialized around Dalby. I managed to walk for a further 20 miles on it but the stretch up to calling it a day at Jurby Church tested my resolve!

The race, which moved to the earlier starting time of 9 a.m. was won by the returning Peter Kaneen in the second fastest time to date (within five minutes of Derek Harrison’s 1979 performance) whilst Roey Crellin performed a similar feat in the Women’s standings, her finishing time only being bettered to date by the all time great race walker Sandra Brown in 1998’s event, at the end of which several competitors continued up and down the Promenade until they had completed 100 miles. 

2004

On 19 June 2004 I walked down to Rushen with long standing local veteran tennis champion Peter Dunworth before a blister under the heel of the right feet effectively ended any aspirations. I recorded that I walked the last four miles into Peel with ‘Karina Killey’ – if you are still out there Karina let me know as I cannot recall you! My slowest time to date to Peel (08 42 07) was all that could be expected if you don’t put in the training...

Robbie Callister regained the title, coming within 24 seconds of Peter Kaneen’s time from 12 months previously, whilst Sue Biggart started her domination of the Women’s race, finishing with her long-term training partner Ray Pitts.

2005 (June 25)

For some reason I did not wake up until 7.50 a.m. so by the time I got my feet taped up etc I did not arrive at the starting line until five minutes before the 9 a.m. start! Did reasonably to Peel before my feet started to suffer and wife Cath and son Andrew managed to cox me through to Michael.

Robbie Callister secured the win after being pushed hard in the middle section by Sean Hands  whilst Sue Biggart and Ray Pitts replicated last year’s exploits by again finishing joint third. The outright record was still intact though, Robbie getting within 3 minutes and 33 seconds of the 1979 mark.

2006

My preparations for the 2006 event were marred by succumbing to plantar fasciitis. I recall during a visit to the doctors asking whether there was any injection I could have to numb the pain on the day, only to be told ‘’No - though you will know when  to stop’’.

The day (24 June 2006) started with ideal (overcast) conditions and my foot held up for about 20 miles. There was fog and heavy rain on the Sloc and I took it ‘gingerly’ to limp into Peel in my worst ever time of 9 hours and 9 minutes.

Robbie Callister finally improved on Derek Harrison’s all time record in 2006, however he had to settle for second place with Sean Hands obliterating the old time by recording 14 47 36. And Sky Television was there to record the drama!

2007

I was awake at 5 a.m. with anticipation the following year (23 June) and there were ideal conditions to start, with sun in the afternoon before torrential rain when I was a Bishopscourt! I recorded my fastest time to date to Peel and was in good shape until Ballaugh before finding the stretch from Jurby to Bride ‘a real struggle’ though at least I had managed to reach the northernmost church for the first time, clocking in at 14h 31m 39s   

 After Sean Hands had been forced to retire on the Sloc Robbie Callister recorded his fifth victory whilst 72 years old  Michael Gray recorded his second finish, a mere 47 years after making his debut!

     


      Adopting the 'lean' more synonymous with those finishing videos of Dudley Butt and Ray Hughes!    







Comments

  1. A great read! I cant believe how much you can remember x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog